Monday, February 10, 2014

Discernment Goes Beyond Decision Making

NouwenHenri emphasized that Christian discernment is not the same as decision making. Reaching a decision can be straightforward: we consider our goals and options; maybe we list the pros and cons of each possible choice; and then we choose the action that meets our goal most effectively. Discernment, on the other hand, is about listening and responding to that place within us where our deepest desires align with God’s desire. As discerning people, we sift through our impulses, motives, and options to discover which ones lead us closer to divine love and compassion for ourselves and other people and which ones lead us further away.
The situations I face in my life (and you in yours) will, of course, require decision making. That’s all well and fine. However, the older I get, the more I see the difference Nouwen urges us to recognize. As described, making a decision involves choosing a course of action; answering the question, “What shall I do?” Discernment may include that, but goes deeper than making a determination about what I should do to ask, “Who shall I be?”
Before God, for myself, and for others — “Who shall I be?”
(taken from blog:  http://www.internetmonk.com/archive/pausing-to-consider-the-journey)

No comments:

Post a Comment